Sr. Software Engineer
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for leading and collaborating on the development of web and mobile applications for a successful, rapidly growing software company. You will provide inspiration, leadership, and development knowledge for teams of developers by working hands-on with the development team and our product and project managers to bring new products and product upgrades to market. As the company’s primary in-house software engineer, you will set the standard for the outsourced development team and position the company for additional internal growth of its software development function.
This unique opportunity affords the right person the ability to make an immediate impact across multiple products, brands, and sub-companies in the Swyft Filings portfolio of companies. You will be working on high-profile projects spanning multiple technologies with the expectation that you will quickly absorb the business intent, platform architecture, and application design and be able to significantly improve our development processes, systems, and team.
Who We Are
Swyft Filings is an online filing service for business formations. More importantly, we’re a company that has helped budding entrepreneurs start over 300,000 new businesses (and counting). We take a complex process and automate it to make it easier for small businesses and individuals to launch their business dreams without having to hire high-priced professionals or worrying about administrative headaches.
Since 2015, we’ve grown from a lawyer and two online entrepreneurs into a team 110 strong – and you can bet we’re not done yet. We’re proud to have been ranked as one of the fastest-growing companies in Houston, nationally by the Inc 5000, and we’re also listed as a Top Workplace by the Houston Chronicle.
Our mission is to empower people and break down barriers so anyone can follow their dreams and create something special for themselves and their communities. To do that, we need a strong software engineering expert that has the experience and knowledge to mentor others and ensure software engineering best practices are in place. Therefore, we are looking for problem solvers who can think on their feet and who are self-starters who are comfortable taking the initiative in a knowledge-intensive, energetic, fast-paced environment.
What You'll Do:
- Design and implement software architectures, systems, and components for production systems and proof-of-concept demonstrations
- Participate in architectural decisions & help to communicate well with other engineers on how to implement these architectures
- Build software solutions with a customer focus in mind
- Drive engineering best practices
- Own and drive projects with a distributed team of developers including handling individual project priorities, deadlines, and work aligned with the product roadmap
- Proliferate engineering excellence and help level up the team through mentorship and training on design techniques and coding standards
- Evaluate areas of opportunity for innovation and new technologies
- Collaborate with other teams including product, UX, services, support & customers as needed
- Provide input on CI/CD, code practices and monitoring/alerting for products
- Perform security code reviews and provide direction for remediating issues and preventing future vulnerabilities
- Raise the technical bar for how we develop complex, scalable, and reliable systems
- Build clarity out of ambiguous and complex problems
- Participate in recruiting great talent like yourself!
What You Bring:
- The ideal Senior Software Engineer should have strong attention to detail, including a passion for writing clean code and instructing and leading others on best practices for coding
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science (or related field) or work experience equivalent
- 8+ years of software engineering experience as a full stack software engineer building B2B or B2C-scale applications in the cloud
- 5+ years of RDBMS and SQL experience, MySQL or Postgres preferred; NoSQL experience is a plus
- 4+ years of front end development experience with one of the following: Angular or React
- 4+ years of Linux experience including Apache web server experience
- 4+ years of Restful API development experience with PHP Laravel and GraphQL preferred
- 3+ years of AWS experience with EC2, Elasticache (or Redis), S3, Lambda, Cloudflare, Cloudfront
- Experience with VPN, CDN, Security scans (DAST/IAST/PCI), NGNIX, SSH
- 100% employer-covered medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee-only plans
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- Hybrid or Fully Remote Work Model
- Parental Leave
- Casual Dress Code
- Free Branded SWAG
- Company Events
- Employee hiring referral program
- Job Specifics:
- Competitive Compensation – Based on experience
- Opportunity for Remote Employment – However, must be open to some travel to Houston and/or Austin for larger meetings/events
- Peer recognition rewards possible through Bonusly